google search

Friday, July 18, 2008

My ingredients list

This is my list of ingredients that I use in my mineral makeup, and each serves it's puprose in the final products.

The following base ingredients are all naturally occuring!
Titanium Dioxide:
Is a natural mineral, and is a great natural sunscreen in combination with Zinc Oxide and also, offers a high coverage in the final product.
Zinc Oxide:
A natural mineral, and when combined with Titanium Dioxide it makes an even greater sunscreen. Zinc is very calming and soothing for irritated or acne prone skin, and helps with rosacea. In addition it give the final product more coverage.
Kaolin Clay:
This is also known as China Clay. Kaolin Clay is a hard worker and as a result it is a great oil absorber, it absorbs 1 and a 1/2 times it's weight. I use it in all my oil control products as well, it really helps to make your eye shadows last and last. I told you it was a hard worker !! :)
Rice Powder(Kosher):
Rice powder (Kosher) also offers oil absorbtion but it is slow and there for it can also be good for dry skin types as it won't de-hydrate your skin. It also offers a silky finish to the final product and gives your skin a porcelin shine free finish.
This is the list of my base ingredients, these below are pigments (colourants).
Iron Oxides:
Iron oxides are pigments that occur naturally in the earth, but for cosmetic purposes naturally mined iron salts are taken in a lab and then oxided since natural iron oxides from the earth have a lot of toxins in them.
Mica:
Mica is a fine rock/mineral that is ground down and somtimes coated with iron oxides to make beautful colours.
Ultramarines:
Ultramarines, also pigments, used to be made from crushed gem stones but now made in the lab synthetically, from natural clays I believe. I use them because , the face is that, there really is no true blue natural pigment in cosmetics (it is really rare and very, very expensive to find natural ultramarine blue).
Manganese Violet and Chromium Green Oxide :
Both of these are pigments as well.

From my understanding, most pigments are lab created/synthetically derived but made from natural ingredients. They are borderline natural, borderline synthetic; depends where you draw the line on what's natural. Most people in the natural industry consider them natural, but critics point out why use iron oxides/ultramarine blue and not D & C colors?
My point of view is that iron oxides and ultramarines do occur in nature, but for safety reasons are made from natural ingredients in the lab, so I consider them natural. Now this is just my own point of view on this, it's quite a debatable topic.

No comments: